Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sangria and Spicy Mongolian

Yesterday I made White Sangria for Dawn's wedding that is today.
I multiplied the recipe she gave me (to make the desired amount), bought the items I didn't already have, found appropriate containers, and went to work. I poured the Chardonnay into the large bucket, squeezed fresh orange, lemon, and lime juice into the wine, added the sugar and the orange juice and stirred. Once I thought the majority of the sugar had melted, I decided to try it. (Seriously, you don't want to botch 10 Liters of White Sangria) I poured a little into a cup and splashed it with Ale-8 to complete the recipe.

O.M.G.

I had to try another.
It's a good thing Amanda was a little late getting here. I wouldn't have been good to drive to Tony's birthday dinner! It was awesome! The bad thing is you can barely taste the alcohol so you drink it really fast. Not good on an empty stomach. Well, not good if you need to drive.

Just in case you want the recipe, here's the smaller version.

One bottle of White Wine (750mL)
2/3 cup Sugar (160mL)
1 cup Orange Juice (240mL)
3 Oranges sliced
1 Lemon sliced
1 Lime sliced
500 mL of Ginger Ale

Directions: Squeeze the fruit juice into the wine. Toss in the fruit. Add the sugar and orange juice and stir. Let mixture chill overnight. Add Ginger Ale before serving. Enjoy!

After being seated for Tony's birthday dinner at B.D.'s Mongolian Grill, we went through the line. Here's how it works for those who have not been there. It's like a buffet of raw food. You pile all the meat, seafood, and veggies into a bowl, top it with sauce and spices of your choice and give it to the cook to grill up. I got some pasta and headed towards the vegetables. Got some tofu, water chesnuts, broccoli, sprouts, tomatoes, red chili peppers, green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, and tiny corn on the cobs. I added a couple of sauces, one was a little sweet, one a little spicy and then saw the spices. I tried to add a little cayenne pepper and the whole damn spoonful fell in. A smart person would have tossed the tiny cup full of sauce and spices and started over. But no. I continued.

I had them grill it up, telling them I was vegetarian, and they gave me a hard time because I didn't want my food to touch the other meat. I get to my table to try it and the pain began. At first it wasn't so bad. I thought I might be able to finish my meal. About five minutes later I'm crying and feel like I had hot water draining out of my ears. Never in my life have I felt so awful. Tony was just sitting there like, "Drink some beer. It'll help." I'm thinking WTF do you think I've been doing?!

It got to the point I begged the waitress to bring me anything basic. Milk, Ranch Dressing, I don't care, just now! She brought me half a glass of milk. I was so relieved. Just a sip of milk completely counteracted the spices. I would have greatly enjoyed my meal had it not been for all the fluids rushing out of my eyes, nose, and ears. I'll go back. It was an awesome restaurant. Only next time, I'll skip the peppers...

2 comments:

  1. I'm very excited to try that Sangria recipe! Thanks for sharing! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this...I am a Sangria fanatic!

    ReplyDelete