Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today's my 25th birthday. I'm really weird about birthdays so I have nothing planned. It's not that I don't like having a birthday. I don't mind being one year older. I don't mind hearing "Happy Birthday!" all day. As weird as this sounds, what I mind are the presents.

Try to stay with me on this. I'm sure I heard you say, "WHAT?! That's the best part!" When I receive a present from someone, I feel obligated to remember that person's birthday, then remember to get that person something for said birthday. My mom always says, "How hard is it to remember to get someone a card?" It takes forethought and you'd think I'd be good at planning since that's what I do. Strangely enough, since birthdays don't really stand out on my radar, I don't remember them. Call me selfish or unthoughtful if you want. I'm just not a "birthday" person. I don't believe in the "Get Out of Jail Free" card because "It's my birthday!" Why should I expect anyone to drop what they're doing and do something for me when I don't do it for them? Seriously, I'm so fucking lazy about it that I don't even check the birthdays on Facebook and comment on someone's wall. I'm totally ok with getting nothing but a "Happy Birthday" especially since "No, I don't know what I want for my birthday."

I also get annoyed by the time the 20th person asks me what I'm doing for my birthday. Some years, I may want to do something. This year, I don't. Maybe I'll go out for a couple of drinks, but I don't even want to go out to dinner. Again, when I say "nothing" in response to the above question, they act like it's a sin! Seriously people, I'm not comfortable with people coming together "in honor of my birthday." It took me a year to get comfortable with the idea of people getting together for my wedding! I wanted to elope!

Look, I'm sorry if you're one of those "birthday people" where it's all about you on your birthday. I'm sorry if I've offended you somehow with my attitude. I'm sorry that I usually don't want to go to other people's birthday parties and that I don't want one of my own. When I turned 21 only 3 people showed up (including me) for drinks. When I turned 22 I woke up to a plane crash on my birthday just 2 and a half weeks after one of my best friends died. I can't even remember what I did for my birthday when I was 23 and last year I had an office pot luck which I shared with one other person.

Don't feel sorry for me, just say "Happy Birthday." And, please, don't buy me a present.

No comments:

Post a Comment