Thursday, January 14, 2010

Harry Potter: A Philosophy

For the past three years at Christmastime, I have read the entire series of Harry Potter. (Of course, in 2007 it was just the first six books as the seventh was released in July of 2008.) It's become a tradition for me but the New Year always leaves me feeling lonely and Harry Potter-less.

Yesterday, I finished the seventh and final novel in the series once again. It is by far my favorite but I can't seem to read the seventh book without reading the previous six. It just feels wrong. I contemplated just re-reading the seventh, but then, I'd miss out on my other favorites. Best to start at the beginning. This year it took me about a month to complete it whereas in 2007 I managed to read the first six books in two weeks! However, I read the seventh book in under two days, again. I cannot WAIT until the movies come out. Futhermore, I cannot wait until J.K. Rowling's encyclopedia is (written and) released. I crave more of the wonderful world of Hogwarts.

This leads me to a philosophical question. There are many things in life that we believe in as children, but grow up to find out they are make-believe: Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Bigfoot, Unicorns, etc. Seemingly unrelated, I happen to believe in the concept of positive affirmation or the power of positive thinking. This philosophy states that we can bring into our reality whatever it is that we choose. Many many books have been written about this philosophy and it has proven time and time again to be productive for me.

Expanding on this philosophy, some minds believe that the collective conscious can realize anything. What this means is, if enough people think or dwell on something, they can literally bring it to life. Sitings of Bigfoot and other unknown "mythical" creatures fall under this category as well. It is my theory that this can be applied to all things, including the wonderful world of Hogwarts.

These books are a worldwide sensation. Millions and millions of children and adults have read them in 67 languages. I would dare to say that there's more of a collective conscious regarding Harry Potter's world than there is of the Bible. Of course, my views on the Bible can be saved for another day. What this means is, out there, somewhere could be a place where witches and wizards exist and we are mere muggles. It may not be on this planet, but somewhere in the universe. It wouldn't be the first time that ideas have come to humans via a Greater Power.

Some would argue that J.K. Rowling has a gloriously detailed imagination. I find it hard to believe that all those details are imagined. Imaginations are a channel through which wonderful ideas emit. How many great minds were ridiculed because of their discoveries? How many times have your woken up with the previous day's problems somehow solved overnight? If we didn't consciously solve our own problems, where did the answers come from? I believe the same place all inspiration comes. Futhermore, I think that place exists just as plainly as where I am sitting today.

Is that place Hogwart? Not necessarily. But if all inspiration comes from the same place, and some of that inspiration has been proven to exist, then why wouldn't Hogwarts exist? I think it does. That will get me to next year when I pay Harry, Ron, and Hermione another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment